Sunday, August 22, 2010

Touchdown Sunday Follow & BBQ Chicken Nachos



I was really excited to find this Sunday follow! I am getting ready to kickoff a "Terrific Tailgate" to celebrate all things football, college and professional. There is nothing better then a good football game, good friends, and great food!

My husband is from MN. So of course, we are Minnesota Viking fans! Yes, Brett Favre is a dirty word in our house. My husband still has a few choice words for Favre over losing a trip to the Super Bowl. I swear Favre is like the Energizer Bunny, now that he is back for another year. The man just wont give it up.

Me, well it is a long standing tradition in my family to love all things Atlanta Falcons. Who doesn't love the underdog? The Falcons are one of those teams that can start out great, then just fall apart. I don't know that there will ever be any hope for them to be a winning team. Although, there was the 1998! They did make it to the Super Bowl for the first time! lol They beat the Vikings to get there, which did not sit well with my husband. Of course the Falcons did not win, but gosh darnit they tried! There is always hope, however they played New England on Thursday and found themselves on the losing end of 28-10.

For college football, we are kind of all over the place. We live knee deep in Carolina/Clemson country. That kind of team rivalry has caused fist fights. We also give some love to the Golden Gophers, FSU, and Ole Miss.


Whether you are at the game or watching it at home, all Terrific Tailgaters need food!

Here is my recipe for BBQ Chicken Nachos

Ingredients:

Chicken:
boneless/skinless chicken breast
BBQ sauce ( I prefer Bull Eye's BBQ, any flavor. For this recipe, I used the brown sugar and hickory)
1 can of orange soda
Jack Daniels smoking chips these wood chips are made from the barrels the company uses to age the whiskey. The some of the whiskey soaks into the wood during the aging process. It stays in the wood when the barrel is emptied. The wood chips help give some of that flavor to your meat.

Rub for chicken:
granulated garlic
salt & pepper
Italian seasoning
olive oil

tortilla chips
shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
jalapenos
guacamole
favorite nacho toppings


Let your wood smoking chips soak at least an hour, but longer or overnight is best.

Mix the rub. I don't really measure anything. I season to my personal taste. Let your chicken sit at least 30 minutes, but if you have the time,longer is better.

Heat your grill. For smoking, if you are using a gas grill turn off one burner. For charcoal, push all of the coals to onside. Once the grill is up to temperature, put you chip box on the flame side and meat on the cool side.


Mix BBQ sauce and orange crush together. There are a lot of different BBQ sauce recipes that use cola. We have experimented with Coke and Dr. Pepper. Check out my link for Smoked Ribs using Dr. Pepper.

Smoked chicken takes about an 1 to 1.5 hours. You will want to baste the chicken every 15 to 20 minutes.


Once the chicken is done. You can pull it apart and start assembling nachos.
Lay out your chips, cheese, chicken, and a little extra BBQ sauce. I like to melt under the broiler.



This plate is undressed BBQ chicken nachos. I personally like to add some jalapenos and guacamole to finish. But you can add any of your favorite toppings and dress the nachos your way. The chicken has a sweet and smokey flavor paired with the spice of the jalapenos and nuttiness of the avocado.

This is something that is full of flavors and will be a big hit with your football fans. If you try this recipe, please come back and tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU so much for putting my "Touchdown Sunday Follow" button on your blog. I really appreciate all the support I am getting out in my blogging world as I start up this new "Link Up".

    Oh By The Way: GO RAVENS!!!!

    Thanks again,
    Amanda
    Your Fairy Good Mommy
    XoXoXo

    ReplyDelete