Sunday, July 18, 2010

Homemade Peach Butter aka Adventures in Canning

We went peach picking last week, so I have had a beautiful basket of peaches to play with. We made peach pie and peach/blueberry muffins.

So today, we are tackling peach butter and canning! I have never canned before, ever! I have watched my mom and grandmother do it before. Of course, that was when I was younger and didn't really care about that sort of thing. I remember they would spend days( or at least it seemed that way) prepping foods, washing jars, stuff boiling, steam rising from pots. You get the idea! My husband is a little sketchy on canning as well. His mom and aunts would can stuff. He hated it! especially canned tomatoes. I think he was emotionally scared by tomatoes and anything ending in salad or casserole.

So here we are, two people with no clue trying figure out the process of canning. I would recommend before attempting a home canning project, read the Ball Canning website and talk with an older family member who has done this before.
(it's really not that hard but it is time consuming. just making it dramatic sounding)

This recipe makes a small batch, so you will want to double or triple the recipe to make more if you are canning.
Peach Butter Recipe:

Ingredients:

* 5 large peaches, washed, peeled, and pitted
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup sugar

In a large saucepan, place peaches and water. Bring to a boil. Return to a simmer and cook until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes. You can use a food mill. But because my peaches were super soft, I used a potato masher. Add sugar to pulp and mix well.


On the stove top, Place sweetened pulp in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 1-2 hours or until thick enough so the butter doesn't run off a spoon.

Here is some of the finished product. This is what I am keeping in the fridge for toast or sandwiches. If you aren't canning the butter, it can be kept refrigerated for up to three weeks or frozen for up to one year.


For Canning: Place hot butter in hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Cover with hot sterilized lids and rings. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove to counter and allow to cool before storing in a cool, dry, dark place.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Now I just need to find someone with fresh peaches they don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I canned peaches for the first time last week. Thankfully my mom came over and helped because I had no clue what I was doing. :) Peach butter sounds interesting! I might have to go find some more peaches.

    Visiting from Mingle Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this before. I bet it's delicious! Thanks for adding your recipes to my peach linky! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete