Thursday, July 22, 2010

Craft post- Custom Kid's Mirrors

I love to be crafty. But, I have to be in the right mood to create. I wish I could hold on to that inspiration all the time. When I was decorating my children's bedrooms I had the worst time finding things that I liked. I felt like everything available was stamped out of a cookie cutter. I wanted each room to reflect their personalities and budding style.


Project #1 Jedi Master A's I Spy Mirror-
My son really loves the I Spy series of books, so that is where I got the inspiration to make his mirror. The mirror, I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby. The frame was scratched pretty badly. For $3, it was prefect. I collected all sorts of small toys, trinkets, board game pieces, etc, along with bottle caps. Each are attached to the mirror frame with hot glue. Total cost: Mirror $3, bottle caps -Free, small toys/odds&ends estimate around $5. Total- $8




Project #2 Lulu Bean's floral mirror

For Lulu Bean, her room was inspired by a collector Barbie doll, Hula Honey. The doll is dressed as a Hawaiian dancer. I was inspired by her lei. The mirror, I found at the local Salvation Army. It is actually a piece from the 60's. There was a manufacturer sticker on the back. I found bunches of silk orchids at Walmart on clearance for .50 each. I purchased 4 bunches of the flowers. I took all of the blooms and leaves off the plastic stems. Then using hot glue attached them to the mirror. Total- $10 for mirror, $2 for flowers = $12



I am really pleased with the finished product.

5 comments:

  1. I think these mirrors are terrific. I totally agree that the personality in room accessories for kids can be "lacking." Nice job... No one else will have mirrors like your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mirrors, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have seen what you started out with, but the finished product is great! I wouldn't mind that hula mirror myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how very cute! My girls would love these!! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great idea. I really love the I-spy one.

    I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting the 29th. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
    Kat
    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete