Sunday, April 11, 2010

Crafty Post - Custom Kid Mirrors

I love to be crafty. But, I have to be in the right mood to create. I wish I could hold on to that inspiration all the time. When I was decorating my children's bedrooms I had the worst time finding things that I liked. I felt like everything available was stamped out of a cookie cutter. I wanted each room to reflect their personalities and budding style.


Project #1 Jedi Master A's I Spy Mirror-
My son really loves the I Spy series of books, so that is where I got the inspiration to make his mirror. I collected all sorts of small toys, trinkets, board game pieces, etc, along with bottle caps. Each are attached to the mirror frame with hot glue. Total cost: Mirror $3, bottle caps -Free, small toys/odds&ends estimate around $5. Total- $8




Project #2 Lulu Bean's floral mirror

For Lulu Bean, her room was inspired by a collector Barbie doll, Hula Honey. The doll is dressed as a Hawaiian dancer. I was inspired by her lei. I found bunches of silk orchids at Walmart on clearance for .50 each. I purchased 4 bunches of the flowers. I took all of the blooms and leaves off the plastic stems. Then using hot glue attached them to the mirror. Total- $10 for mirror, $2 for flowers = $12



I am really pleased with the finished product.

1 comment: