Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grilled Chicken Tacos with Peach-Cucumber- Avocado Relish


There is nothing I hate more then slaving over a hot stove during the summer time.   I like to keep all of my families meals light and cool.  

Tacos are always a hit with every member of the family.   These are super simple and the peach relish gives it a little twist with unexpected ingredients that you wouldn't necessarily associate with tacos. 

Start out with some chicken breast.  I like to season them with garlic, salt, pepper, a little chili powder and a dash of lime juice.  After that, I grill them until done. 

For the relish, you will need:                                                     

3 ripe peaches, peeled and diced
1 avocado, ripe and diced
1 small purple onion, diced
1 small cucumber, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 lime or 2 packets of true lime
cilantro
salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder


Combine all of your ingredients into a bowl.  You can season it to your taste.  I like mine a little on the spicier side, so I use the whole jalapeno pepper.  I also add a few sprigs of cilantro.  Not everyone is a fan of cilantro, so you can make that optional.   I like to give this a few minutes in the refrigerator before serving.  Just allowing the flavors to come together.

The sweet from the peaches combines nicely with the nuttiness of the avocado.  The spice from the jalapeno pairs nicely with the sweetness of the peaches.  The lime and the cilantro give a brightness and a touch of sour that plays off the sweet spiciness.  This is a relish that will play with your taste buds.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling - because, well, there's NOTHING better than tacos - they're totally one of my favorite, favorite foods! I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

    ReplyDelete