Thursday, May 13, 2010

We got to see the Wienermobile!



There are just those things that you love from childhood that stick with you. I have always been fascinated my the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile. I don't know why, it is certainly one of those things that you don't see on a daily basis.

The first time I saw it, I was around 5 years old and it was at Disney World! I don't really remember any specifics other then it was parked on Main Street for some reason. I saw it again when I was a little bit older, around age 7 at a food expo, that is when I got my wiener whistle (which as I have said before, I still have!)

This is the first time that my children have gotten to see the Wienermobile. I think they were pretty excited. Although, my 5 year old, once he heard you have to sing for a wiener whistle, he was like PEACE OUT!! I am not singing. It took a little coaxing and a promise from me that I would sing, he just had to smile to get a whistle. My 2 year old, was pretty much ready to try to take it for a test drive. The hotdoggers had allowed a camera crew from the local news a look inside and she tried to climb on board. She was thrilled with her whistle. As of writing this, I can hear the trumpeting sound of wiener whistles.

While we were waiting to see get a picture in front of the Wienermobile, we met an older couple. They had originally seen the Wienermobile in the 1960's and had brought that photo with them. After briefly talking with them and seeing their picture, it was really great to see them pose again in front of the Wienermobile.

Some facts about the Wienermobile:
*There are seven Wienermobiles in existence currently, with each assigned a part of the country.
* It was created in 1936 by Carl G. Mayer, nephew of Oscar Mayer.
*Wienermobile drivers are called "Hotdoggers"

* In 1995, the Wienermobile grew in size to 27 feet long and 11 feet high.
*
In 2004, the most recent version of the Wienermobile was updated with a voice activated GPS, an audio center with a wireless microphone, and a horn that plays the Wiener Jingle in 21 different genres.
*** Facts from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wienermobile

Oscar Mayer is on a Good Mood Mission! It is dedicated to delivering millions of good moods, while simultaneously donating up to 2 million pounds of food to Feeding America. You can visit Good Mood Mission and post your own good moods, while helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment