Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Don't forget to wash your reusable shopping bags!




I am a big fan of reusable shopping bags, but there can be a hidden danger. A new study says that "97 percent of the people interviewed never wash their bags". This can lead to the presence of bacteria. This study looked at 84 bags and more than half of them contained coliform and heterotrophic bacteria and E. coli was present in 12% of the bags. Don't panic!! The strains that they found aren't likely to make anyone sick.

Just like everything reusable, we just need to remember to wash our bags after use. I know I am guilty of not washing the reusable shopping bags. I empty them and stick them back in the closet. Now, I will have to put them into the laundry schedule.


http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/06/25/128105740/plastics-industry-funded-study-finds-bacteria-in-reusable-grocery-bags

No comments:

Post a Comment