Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kool Aid pickles??!!

I was reading an article today that was talking about National hamburger and pickle month. Who makes up these designations? Most are never heard of and rarely celebrated. I think there is nothing better then a thick juicy hamburger with some great tasting garlic pickles. The article shared some burger trivia.
Of course none of the trivia was particularly surprising.

*White Castle is the oldest hamburger chain.
*McDonalds is the biggest hamburger chain

But there was a pickle recipe that I have never heard of and frankly, I am a little afraid of! Has anyone ever heard of or tried Kool Aid pickles?


I did a google search to learn more about these. Apparently, they are popular all over the South, especially the Mississippi delta region. I have lived in the south all my life. I have eaten strange things but this one is new to me.

The pickles seem simple enough. You make a batch of Kool Aid (apperently cherry and lemon-lime work best), add sugar and dill pickles(cut lengthwise. It was also suggested that Mt. Olive pickles were the best to use). Let the pickles soak for about a week in the mixture.

According to the article these pickles are a big hit with kids??
I don't know, I couldn't get past the idea of soaking them in Kool Aid. The idea of fruit punch soaked pickle just turned me off. If anyone has tried these I would love to know more about them.   I have to say that my curiosity is getting the better of me.   I think the kids and I might try to make these over spring break.

1 comment:

  1. OMG i love pickles but I have never tried that - plus I don't think I would want to! I love my dill pickles just as they are!

    ReplyDelete