Sunday, April 3, 2011

Grocery warned not to stock Racoon meat

This is a "TOP" story from our local news station.   DHEC found that a local grocery store, about 80 miles or so from where we live,  had a bag of raccoon meat in its freezer

 What bothers me most about this story, is that the local news decided to run this as their top news story of the day.   I was thinking REALLY?  that is the best you could come up with??!!  it was that slow of a news day??!! REALLY??!!

It doesn't really bother me that this store had raccoon meat in its freezer.  There are restaurants that have squirrel on their menus.    I am pretty sure that squirrel isn't inspected or certified and its in their freezers too.
 
  This is South Carolina, I pretty sure if you went out and interviewed people, you could find someone who eats raccoon or has at least tried raccoon meat before.   I am happy to say that I have never eaten raccoon, and I can't say that I would be first in line to try it either.  There is a huge ICK factor here.   It is vermin, they get diseased.  HUGE ICK FACTOR.

But, people have been eating raccoons for hundreds of years.  Raccoon recipes were in the first edition of The Joy of Cooking published in 1931.   Andrew Zimmern, the host of Bizarre Foods,  ate raccoon in an episode from the Gulf Coast.

If you are going to eat exotic meat, I guess I would rather see people by it in markets rather then buying raccoon meat out of the trunk of someone's car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment