Friday, December 2, 2011

Homemade Star Wars Character Christmas Stockings


 When my husband and I first got married, we didn't really have a lot of money to spend on Christmas decorations.  We had no stockings, so I attempted to sew us a pair of Christmas stockings.     Sewing is not something that I do well and I don't have a sewing machine.   So all of the stockings that I made are hand sewn. 

 The second thing, being that money was tight.  I didn't have a lot of money to spend on fabric.  I purchased sheets of felt from my local craft store.  So I would say for around $8, I made two stockings. 

My children discovered them when we were putting up our holiday decorations and so now I am busy working on two more.

Here is what I used: 

Felt Sheets in assorted colors
red, white, black, green, brown thread
white paper
small red beads
thin ribbon


I started out by drawing just a simple stocking pattern on a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper.  Using the whole sheet of paper.

Since we both love Star Wars, I decided that that is what our theme would be.  I tried to decide which characters would be the easiest to create with felt.   Then drew basic shapes to represent each character. 
I found that tracing around a half dollar coin, made the right sized heads.  

I cut each character out and sewed them together.  Once all of the characters were complete, I arranged them on the stocking and sewed them on.

I matched the stocking pieces together (outside in) and sewed them together.

Then I cut 2 inch stripes to go across the top and sewed those in place.   Once that was complete, I stitched mine and my husband's name across the top. 


This post is linked to Someday Crafts Chirstmas Linky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment