Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Embarrassing Moments

We have all had those moments when our kids embarrass us. We do our best to try to teach them manners, but in the end somewhere along the road the manners went missing. This is one of our stories....

I feel very strongly that children need to be taught the correct words for body parts. There was a girl that I went to collage with, she was 20 years old and could not say the word penis, without turning bright red and giving a nervous laugh. That annoyed me. Grow up! It is a word, you have a 50/50 shot at owning one of your own. Its not some deep, dark mystery that can only be spoken of in hushed tones.

So when my son was around 2 he was fascinated by his body parts. We would name body parts over and over again. One day, we were at the grocery store, just shopping. It was nice, just the 2 of us taking our time. He and I were conversing, then suddenly out of nowhere shouts as loud as he can, MOMMY!! I HAVE A PENIS. Trying to be one of those calm and cool moms, I said, Well yes, you do. But, we don't need to tell everyone. After that he was fine, we continued shopping.

The next time was in church, during Christmas services. I tried to have things with us to keep us entertained. During a vocal solo, my son shouts MOMMY, I HAVE A PENIS! (oh lord! really, now is the time for him to remember this fact) so much for Silent Night. I know everyone heard him. I calmly said, I know you do, but we don't need to share the information with everyone. I got him playing again then a few minutes later, he shouts again, MOMMY, YOU HAVE A VAGINA! ( Dear Lord, is this a test? Why me? Please grant me the serenity...)
yes, son I do, but please don't tell the whole church. I just wanted to crawl under the pew. I think about it now and laugh.

I share this story with other parents. I wouldn't change a thing. Teach them the real names of body parts. I am glad they know their body parts. I don't want them to be embarrassed or ashamed of their bodies. I think to be a successful parent, you have to have a good sense of humor and talk to God daily. I have found he has a good sense of humor too.

No comments:

Post a Comment