Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Fair

This week, the local county fair is going on.   When I was pregnant with my son, I was on bed rest.  The TV became a good friend of mine.  I remember watching this old episode of Andy Griffin.  Aunt Bea was in a dither over her pies that she was baking for the county fair.    I remember thinking what neat thing to do,so nostalgic.

Growing up in the South, I have always heard people talking about entering this or that in the fair.   Back years ago, it was the thing to do.  It was also a great source of pride to local farmers showing their produce or housewife's showing off their baking skills.   

I had never entered anything in the fair before. So I made it a personal goal to enter something in the fair.  The first year, I won 3 ribbons!    This year, I entered 6 items in the crafts category and only 2 in the domestic arts.   I am very far from a domestic goodness,  so I am very proud when I win a food ribbon.   

My family and I have not had the opportunity to go to the fair.  It is driving me crazy because I want to know if I won anything this year!!  I will know in a few days I guess, I will keep you posted 

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I remember the days of 4-H fairs, and entering food. I always think about doing it at local fairs, but always seem to miss the deadlines! Good luck to you!
    New follower.
    ~K
    bigklittlea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete