Friday, September 21, 2012

Counting Candy Corns






I taught Montessori preschool for over 10 years. I am so happy to have the opportunity to work with my younger children at home.  

I started getting out a few Fall/Halloween themed activities this past week.  This is one of our lessons that we have been practicing this week.

I apologize for the weird glare on this picture.   This is a hand transferring lesson that also doubles as a math activity.

I handmade the candy corns using gluten free playdough.   I absolutely love it as material for making counter.    Once hardened it is extremely durable.

I hand shaped the candy corns, then microwaved them for about 20 seconds at a time.  I continued doing this in 20 second intervals until they were hard.    I allowed them time to cool down.   Then I quickly painted them with acrylic paint and sealed them.  

I placed a set of number cards with this activity.   My daughter drew a card and counted that number of candy corns into the pumpkin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment