Tuesday, March 26, 2013

PF Chang's Mongolian Beef recipe

I think that my husband would probably say that PF Chang's is one of his top 5 favorite restaurants.  Whenever we eat there, I always know what he will order.   Mongolain Beef.   I think it is the first thing he ever ordered and the only thing he has ordered.  I honestly don't think he has tried anything else.

  I had seen the recipe for their Mongolian Beef online before.  But, for some reason, we never tried making it.  I guess we were afraid that we would be disappointed and it just wouldn't live up to the deliciousness in the restaurant.   Well, thanks to Pinterest, I have been collecting recipes for my family to test out.  I happened across the Mongolian Beef recipe again and we gave it a try.    I did modify the recipe slightly and I did have to make some substitutions, which I noted in the recipe.


Mongolian Beef
12 oz. sliced beef tenderloin
1 tbsp. soy bean oil   ( I used canola oil)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic    ( I used 1 teaspoon )
2 fl oz. gluten free soy sauce    ( I use the low sodium soy sauce)
2 tbsp. sugar        
1 fl oz. rice wine    (since I did not have rice wine on hand, I substituted with Sake)
2 oz. green onion sticks   3" long, greens only
1/2 tsp. sesame oil

Heat oil in a saute pan.   Add beef and cook for 30-60 seconds. or until cooked.  Beef should be lightly browned around the edges and grey through out the rest of the surface.

Add garlic and toss.

Add rice wine, sugar , and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil.

Cook and reduce the sauce around the beef, until all of the sauce has caramelized onto the beef.  The saute pan should be dry  (no flowing sauce) before the next step.

Add the green onion sticks and incorporate with the beef.  A few tosses are all that is needed.  You don't want to wilt the onions.

Finish with sesame oil.


Ok, so we weren't disappointed!  I have to say, yep! I nailed it!!  truly...    The finished product turned out great and the whole family loved it.  It is a quick recipe to make, which to me is always a plus.  Pair it with either, white or brown rice.  We also served it with some sliced mangoes and strawberries.

My apologies for the lack of pictures.  I hadn't really planned to blog about testing this recipe but at the last minute, I changed my mind.

I am sharing this recipe success with What's Cooking Wednesday at Turning Back the Clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment