Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Anybody hoarding Hostess snacks?


















Thanks to the popularity of "Zombieland" no one wants to be caught in an zombie apocalypse without a Twinkie.

Thanks to the impending doom of Hostess and the movies, my husband decided that we should stock up.    Really?  was my only thought.   I heard the argument, "This is my childhood!" coupled with a story to go along with the golden snack cake.

I guess others had the same idea.  There has been an explosion of Twinkie/Hostess Snacks auctions on  Ebay with auctions ending at ridiculous amounts.    I asked my husband if we would be profiting from the snack cake buffet he procured from the gas station.    The answer I got was NO!  which then lead to a lengthy monologue about childhood, Twinkies surviving  nuclear war, extinction and somehow the dodo bird got thrown in there too.

Now in 8 years of marriage, this is the first time that a Twinkie has been in our home.   Our children thought they were in heaven.  Because sadly (??), ironically (??)  not sure what word to use here, our children had NEVER  had a Twinkie.   I honestly can not tell you the last time I had a Twinkie.  My best guess would be sometime in the mid 80's.  I remember taking trips to the bread outlet stores to stock up.   My grandparents would have them in the pantry for after school snacks.

I guess there is good news for  all of the Twinkie fans.  There may still be a chance that Twinkies survive.  The company has been put into mediation.  But, just in case things don't work out,   several questions have come to mind:

Do/Did  Twinkies really  taste good?

Twinkies are so firmly attached to popular culture. Is it that nostalgia we associate with them makes our minds think they are delicious?

What does a world without Twinkies look like?   I mean admittedly, for me, it has been 20 plus years since I really had a Twinkie on a regular basis.   But, what does a world without Twinkies mean?  I guess there will be a shortage of fried fair food.   In 20 years, will we see preserved Twinkies in museums?


Of course, there is always Little Debbie, but is that really the same?


Share your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment