Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spicy Basil Hummus

For a long time, I have been on the fence about hummus.   Not all hummus is created equal.  But lately, I have found that I really love it, especially since I have been trying to cut more meat out of my diet.     I found this recipe at Nutritionist Reviews.  

It is really simple to make, which this was my first time trying to make homemade hummus.  But I am really glad that I tried it.   If you are hummus fan, I think you will like this recipe. 


Ingredients:
3 cups cooked garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon Garlic Gold oil
2 tablespoons Basil Oil (if you don't have this, you can use 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon dried basil)
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
7 small garlic cloves
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 large lemon

Directions:
1. Soak 1/2 lb dried garbanzo beans overnight in a pot of water.
2. The following day, cook beans for 15 minutes on high.  Turn off burner and let sit for 20 minutes.
3. Peel garlic cloves and cut lemon in half and squeeze.
4. Combine beans, oils, garlic, spices, and lemon juice in a food processor.
5. Blend for 2-3 minutes. Stir any remaining pieces in and blend for 30 seconds more. 
6. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking. 
7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment