I used the Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate cake mix, which I have to say is a pretty good cake mix. I was pleased with its overall texture. I baked the cake according to box directions. For cupcakes it takes about 20 minutes.
Once we took these out of the oven, we allowed them to completely cool. We took a small apple corer and made a hole in the center of each cupcake. After that was done, I used a piping bag to put the marshmallow creme into the center. This is another place you can cheat by using store bought marshmallow fluff .
My pictures are terrible from this morning's baking. I used my camera phone, but you will get the idea.
For the homemade White Chocolate Buttercream this is the recipe that I used.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 12 ounces white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, using a hand held electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in the melted white chocolate. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat at low speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl, until light and fluffy.
This recipe is fast, really easy to make and most importantly delicious. I have been trying to experiment more with making homemade frostings. The finished product was delicious! We decorated with a Darth Vader pick from the Williams-Sonoma Star Wars cupcake decorating sets.